Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Powershot A95 - Damaged and Fixed

I've got back my camera! Got it back from my sister-in-law after her Taiwan trip. I'm not sure due to what reason, which I highly suspect it is the fault of the CF card, which it makes my A95 CF slot pins got slated. 2 pins are slightly slanted and 1 pin totally bended like a rainbow.

As a "born engineer", I've started to disassemble it as soon as I found the fault in the very Friday morning. And that make me late for work, it was not a good day for me, as I'm upset over the possibility of either changing a new camera or send it for repair, which both will cost pretty much.

Well, anyway, I try my luck and see if Canon will sell me the parts. I emailed them:

Type of Enquiry: Help
Specific Enquiry: Cameras
Product Model: A95
Enquiry:
My A95's CF card slot's pins are slanted, probably due to the CF card
insertion/rejection problem. Would like to know how much will it cost for a
repair to replace that part?

Alternatively, am I able to purchase the particular part (CY1-6357-000) so
that I can do the repair job myself as my camera is no longer under
warranty and I don't wish to spend much.

Thanks!
Apparently, I've manage to get a pdf copy of the service manual and thus the part no.

Canon is pretty prompt in response, I've got the email on the day itself in the evening, and it read:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Without having the opportunity to check the camera we are unable to
determine the cause of fault.

We advise you to send in the camera to our Customer Service Centre for
checking.

The service charge are $60.00 excluding gst & spare parts.There is no
assessment charge for checking and it will takes about 5 to 10 working days
depending on spare parts availability. There is an additional express
charge of $42.80 within 5 working hours and $26.75 within 3 working days.

PS: Based on the description given below, the estimate cost of repair is
$90.00 inclusive of gst and service charge. We do not sell spare parts and
please bring in the camera for servicing.
So, that's a whopping 90 bucks that I have to pay to have it repaired. Certainly, as it isn't a very big issue, I believe I could have fix it by bending the pins back. So, my repair work started that very night. And I carefully bend the pins back to the best near original style and test it with the CF card that I have.

As I'm very eager to get the camera disassembled in the early morning, I've not recorded down the positions of the screws that I've unscrewed from the camera. Apparently there are many different sizes of screws! That is one of the reason why I would want to quickly get it done that very night, while my memory about the screws are still fresh!

So, all together it took me about 2 hours to get it back in one piece and I've got it back working perfectly as before! Well, its image quality was not affected although Jacky told me that the electronics are very sensitive and once opened it is gone case.

A lesson learned is.... to use with extra care! and never force push in the CF card if you feel something is stucked, it gonna be something wrong, stop and check on it! I've also found that the design is really genius, all the parts in the camera are well designed to be in place and secure nicely by design.

And now, I'm back shotting!