Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Wax on Apples

So, this will be my first post of the year, a lazy blogger that only update his blog once a blue moon and during the time when he is too free or too crazy.

We have some Washington apples in the refrigerator and that's those shiny appealing apples as compare to other pinky ones from another side of the world. A couple of days ago, my brother was given a task to cut the apples into pieces for our dessert. Well, at the end, he peel off all the skins, including the pinky ones.

The fact is that, there's wax on the apples, you can easily verify that by using a sharp knife to strap on the apple's skin. And voila, that's wax!.. looks scary. I wonder if these wax are really harmful and whether it is eatable and whether it is natural in the first place!

Nowadays, Google is my best friend to find out anything from the deep sea to the sky above. So I've found this article on Washington apple website. It says that those wax are actually eatable and safe (as approved by the US FDA), usually are carnauba or shellac (what? I suppose it is not the shellac that we used on wood furnitures). It does mentioned also that there is natural wax on the apple as well.

Interesting enough, when I'm doing a cross reference for verification on the Apple wax on wikipedia, in the wiki there isn't even a word on "wax". So, I suppose there isn't any wax or maybe only valid on some specific species and after all it is very insignificant. Interesting fact from the wiki that's apple seed is toxic, but not to worries, you probably won't be able to eat that many apples (with its seeds) that will make the toxic level enough to kill you.

And China is the largest producer of apple, follow by US Washington and the rest. Just to mention also about my apple "experiences", personally I love Royal Gala ones, they tends to have good apples. We've ate Japan apple before, which was bought from Cold Storage, probably the cheapest Japan apple, but still very pricey, it taste great, and I wonder if they "inject" honey in there.

That's all my sharing on apples for the day! and remember, an apple a day, keeps the doctor away! (ofcourse, too good to be true, but it do make your healthier)

ps... interesting enough, there's wax apple, now only I came to know it is called wax apple in english. (I like wax apple too, but good ones are pricey also).

1 comment:

Mandy Wong said...

oh mi good! last night l just bought some green apple at RM1.79 per piece!